Name:
Location: Bakersfield, CA

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Remebering Your Grandfather

Emily,
I thought it important to tell you about the relationship you had with my father for the short time that he was with us.

From the beginng you had a strong affection for him. You've always had favorites and he was most certainly one of them. While every other grandparent was busy deciding what you should call them, you named him "Pa" in the same way that you named me "Papa." It was natural and pure, a gift from the heart.

We didn't see my parents very often then but when you were less than a year old, you would search the wedding photo album, or any scrapbook, just to find pictures of him. Pausing, you would point and say "Pa." This was an every day activity for months and months.

When he passed away you were 1yr-7mo old. We told you that Pa was sleeping. Everytime you repeated that phrase it tugged at my heart. You were so very aware of what was happening and the funeral did have an affect on you. I held you as we passed the open casket for the last time. You said "kisses," which was your way of saying that you wanted to give someone a kiss, so I held you over and you kissed your Pa goodbye. It was the sweetest act of human kindness I have ever witnessed.

You were such a fiercly independent child who did not give kisses easily. The fact that you gave a kiss to Pa as he slept illustrates the bond that you had. In the morning after the funeral I awoke with you sleeping between your mother and me. You rarely talked to me but this morning you grinned and said "morning Papa." Your smile brought me great comfort and I knew at that moment that everything would be all right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home